Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Graduate: A R.H. Levitin Reflection




I need to get away.

I'm stuck in limbo, in between my youth and becoming an adult (no Brittney Speara early 2000's top 40 single pun intended).

An adventure after undergraduate commencement is quite cliche, but I see no problem with that. Cliche's become cliche for a reason, so I see nothing wrong with becoming one.

Where will I go? I have no clue. There are a few places that I've tossed around in the battleground that is my current state of mind.

Something tropical? Perhaps ... but that has vacation appeal. That's not what I'm looking for.

Something spiritual? Maybe ... I've been to Israel and it was awesome. I'd like to go back, but now is not the right time. I need something new.

Something familial? It's too bad I've already been to Ireland and Israel, Russia doesn't have any real temptation as for as I'm concerned. I don't think there's any other bloodline I choose to follow as far as my Jewish and Irish heritage is concerned.

So where will I go? I have no idea. That's part of the problem and part of the solution.

I can't lie. It's nice to not have anything to do or anywhere to go, but it's plaguing me with uncertainty. The best part is that I know I'm not alone. The vast majority of recent college graduates share my slight pain. The economy sucks. There are no jobs in my field. But ... I choose to see this as a blessing in disguise ... at least for now.

Since I'm an unemployed recent graduate who has quite a strong resume, I feel confident in the fact that I will be employed by October. With that said, I want to see the world in a different light. I want to see something different than the blackboard in a D.C. classroom during a lecture or the reporters in the newsroom getting a story tip at an internship. I want to see more than the students crossing the quad on their way to class or the naive freshmen at a Friday night frat party. I loved everything that college gave me ... but I want more. This is the time. I have to embrace it.

So ... you're welcome to join me on this journey, wherever it may take me. It might be awhile, but I'm going, and The Chicago to DC POV will take you there. Just wait for it.

As always,

R.H. Levitin
Cubs fan extraordinaire and frequent blogger

No comments: