Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Free Happy Hour: Who Cares?

Today marks a first in my brief stint with life so far -- I won a free happy hour. Then, within minutes of being notifying of this wonderful evening in which yours truly can drink for free for two hours while treating her friends to cheap rail drinks and the like ... I lost that loving feeling and was reminded of the economic woes that continue to strike fear into the hearts the American majority.

All anyone seems to talk about anymore is money -- or rather -- their lack there of.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor, unemployment is up to 9.4% as of the end of July.

Minimum wage was raised to $7.25 July 24 but that's not helping anybody.

Here's what's really going:

The majority of my fellow graduates from the class of 2009 are unemployed. Those who aren't deserve whatever salary they're making due to the fact that they worked the system and got the "good-enough-for-now" means to their end.

Then there are the volunteers and interns. You know the saying "Freedom isn't free?" Well neither is blood, sweat, and tears being poured into a job that you either wont end up getting or is sucking your soul.

The worst part is -- all the work stuff is during the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. (more or less). But no-no, money woes don't stop at 5 p.m. They carryover!

Nightlife is miserable. I've even heard it compared to being as close to the Depression era as we ever hope to get. Sure people still go out, get hammered to forget day-to-day woes of a cruel boss, taxes, bills, and the like. But where are they getting the money to do it?

I can only speak from experience. So here's the truth. None of us have the money. We're faking it. And if you're not faking it -- call me. I want in on the presidential flash cards trading game.

There's nothing I'd rather do than spend $7 on an overpriced gin and tonic at some trendy yuppie bar instead of buying a couple frozen dinners. And I know I'm not alone in that.

There's one request left to file. Where are the people with the jobs, living the life I crave and how can I get them to give me one? Sharing is caring people, didn't you learn that in kindergarten? Everyone deserves a salary.

After all, life is about going out and doing what you want to do when you want to do it -- just as long as you show up on time to your job the next day.

No comments: