Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Come On, Baby Don't You Wanna Go?


I do ... and I will ... back to that same old place, sweet home Chicago.

Friday, you'll be able to find me in section 123 at Wrigley Field to watch the struggling Cubbies at home for the first time since August 2008.

A lot has changed since that August game where Rich Harden pitched a gem, Marmol set up the save, and Kerry Wood closed it out for a rousing bout of "Go Cubs Go" the entire stumble of a walk back to my Lakeview home.

My company that night included my high school friends Darienne and my parents, who showed up after game time. Little did my parents know (and now my mother will if she reads this entry ... sorry mom), Darienne and I were three beers into the night by the time they showed up for the game in our bleacher seats.

Let me explain why so many so fast:
  1. We got to the game at about 3:45 (for a 7:05 start) and waited in line to get into the bleachers for a good seat, which we got.
  2. It was my first time being 21 at a baseball game.
  3. It was my first time being 21 at a Cubs game.
  4. It was my first time being 21 at a Cubs game sitting in the bleachers.
  5. Therefore, we had no choice.
Then, upon my father's arrival, he continued to hand out beers to the two of us just as fast as the Cubs continue to lose this season. I, of course, did not turn them down. I also do not remember the walk home. What I do remember is that I will never forget that game.

It was the last one I ever went to with my dad and definitely ranks among the top three Cubs games I saw with him. Between the two of us, we sure have seen a bunch of awesome games: the Red Sox first series against the Cubs at Wrigley Field in May 2005 (where then Cubs starter Greg Maddux hit a homer run), Cubs Spring Training at Hohokam in 2006, Kerry Woods first releif appearance in August 2005, Ryne Sandberg's (second) last game before retirement in 1997, and that's just to name a few.

This will be my first Cubs game attended with my pseudo-daddy Peter. It will be full of Old Style, Chicago hot dogs, and a great deal of yelling directed toward our Cubs. It'll be just like Lou from inside the dugout only better because we have beer and Lou doesn't.

I do however look forward to the game because I can only imagine what a kick my dad is gonna get out of watching Peter and I rant on and on about how the Nationals (for once) are way better than the Cubs.

Face it Cubs fans, the Nats have a way better bullpen despite Brian Bruney's miserable numbers. But then again, things could be worse for the Cubs ... they could still be paying Jason Marquis. Then again, Zambrano's still in the pen. In any case, my bet's on the Nats finishing better than the Cubs this season in the overall standings.

No comments: